Wednesday, July 20, 2005

English 101: IDIOMS

English 101: IDIOMS

"Great minds think alike"
Geek A: "This summer I've been reading Martin Heidegger & Ludwig Wittgenstein."
Geek B: "Really? Me too."
Geek A: "Great minds think alike."

"Word of mouth"
Party Girl: "How did you hear about this party?"
Geek Guy: "Word of mouth."

"Everything but the kitchen sink"
Dude: "Wow, your suitcase is huge. What do you have in there? Everything but the kitchen sink?"

"Out Of The Frying Pan (And Into The Fire)"
Old Dude: "They think they work hard now. Wait and see how much harder they have to work after they graduate."
Older Dude: "Out of the frying pan and into the fire."

"Burning the candle at both ends"
Staff: "Ever since this new project started I have been burning the candle at both ends. I can't take much more of it."

"Every cloud has a silver lining"
Player: "This really is a tough situation. Do you think things will work out for the best?"
Coach: "I'm sure they will. Every cloud has a silver lining."


"At the drop of a hat."
Lady: "If you get an extra ticket for the movie, let me know. I would go at the drop of a hat."

"When pigs fly"
Geek Dude: "Will you go out on a date with me?"
Hot Chick: "Sure: When pigs fly!"

"Nose is out of joint"
Kern: "What's wrong with Raffy?"
Shaun: "His nose is out of joint because we forgot to invite him to the party."

"Third Wheel"
Jack: "Would you like to go to the dance party with me and lisa?"
Mark: "No thanks, I don't want to be the third wheel"

No comments: